It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Page 16 of 16 [ 1170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Post subject: Re: Helen L's Corner Cafe...Everybody's welcome! A cup of smiles
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:49 pm 

Hi, Helen! Hi, Night Crew!
What do people do while waiting for a hurricane? I can feel a definitely cool breeze coming in through the window, and the sky was overcast all day. The amazing thing is, when I turned on the computer tonight, my usually temperamental dial-up actually found my e-mails, opened them, and allowed me to reply - without claiming it couldn't display the web page! Yesterday, I must have spent fifteen minutes just trying to get to the e-mails! Atmospheric conditions? Special powers granted to you, Helen?
So, what to do before Mother Nature storms in? Apparently, start celebrating Halloween early! I saw a young "Lucille Ball" a little while ago, and an 1890's pub keeper, a lovely "Wonder Woman", and a dashing chap in a cloak! A young pirate queen passed by, holding the hands of two fairy princesses! The party people are down there now, but they may be swimming home later!
I was thinking about Halloween and why it has become so popular with adults. Some costumes are clear and imaginative, some are lewd, some are ghoulish to an extreme. Maybe, it's popular because the news is so grim from day to day. Tragedy in the City can touch a child, felled by a stray bullet during a clash of two rival gangs. Tragedy can strike a pregnant woman who may have chosen the wrong man to marry. On Thursday, the calm of a wealthy Upper West Side building was shattered by screams -a young mother came home and discovered the bodies of her two younger children and their nanny. The nanny was lying on the floor,with a kitchen knife in her hand. New Yorkers have left flowers and votive candles outside the building. Once again, the question is raised, "Why does God allow terrible things to happen to people?" How does one answer that?
The temperature is definitely dropping. The cats are dozing, undisturbed. Perhaps, like last time, we will have a lot of rain.

G'night, all. Please pray for those who have had great sadness in their lives.

Colleen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:35 pm 

Hi, Helen! Hi, Evening Crew!
The rain is coming down now. It's a real "thankful to be in with a cup of tea" night.
I went for a walk in early afternoon, after Con Ed sent out an automated phone call, saying that they might be turning off the power in some parts of the City where there might be flooding, and I couldn't find the flashlight. Of course, there were none to be had, except for a little newsstand that was selling them - for $15. I said "Thank you!' and walked away. The wind started to come up then, and blew me along. Suddenly,I heard a crash from across the street. I glanced over just in time to see what had been a metal awning hitting the sidewalk. A few minutes later, I passed what looked like an entire young tree that had been ripped off its trunk - but I couldn't see the trunk, nor was there a scar on the trunk of the tree standing next to it. Time to head home! I'm thankful to be inside. An adorable little black and white cat came up to me in the garden yesterday, before the storm, meowing and wanting attention - not one of the established ferals. I showed it where the dry food was, and the water. Hope it went into the shelters across from the foot. Shame on the person who dropped it off! The cats are dozing. Time for more tea!
Stay warm and dry everyone!

Colleen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:59 pm 

Stay inside Colleen, I've been watching all the news reports, it's bad out there.

Remembering Windchill 5.28.07-2.29.08
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:59 pm 

Stay inside Colleen, I've been watching all the news reports, it's bad out there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:42 am 

Just catching up on the forum. I had problems getting on and haven't checked back in a long while.
Love, love, love your posts Colleen. You have a wonderful way with words.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:47 am 

I hope you are still safe and doing ok. My last post was in reply to something else, so not in response to your horrible weather. Ya, some people will try and make a buck at other's need. One can buy a few flashlights for that amount of money. Shame on him.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:16 am 

Hi, Helen! Hi, Day Crew! The coffee smells great!

The carousel made it!

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/c ... sandy.html

Few pictures of Hurricane Sandy captured both the enormity of the disaster and the unquenchable spirit buried deep in the city’s core better than the image of Jane’s Carousel, the glass-enclosed merry-go-round on the waterfront near the Brooklyn Bridge, taken at the height of the storm. The photo shows the dark water lapping at the horses’ hooves, with the eerie blacked-out lower-Manhattan skyline in the background, and the festive riderless ponies twinkling merrily in the bright yellow light.

The subway is running some trains! I only had to walk to 34th St. today. Still dark and cold below 25th St. Really spooky walking around. ''Thanks for the calls and good wishes.

Colleen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:44 pm 

Hi, Helen! Hi, Night Crew! Are you still there? Can't believe our last cup of coffee was in November!
The main topic has been the weather - from icy to a hint of spring to ZAP! Not yet! Frozen little yellow forsythia branches, but green branches in the rose garden.. daffodils, undeterred, poking up their tough little green noses... daffodils and pink and white tulips at the corner deli!
Actually, I can celebrate a small victory, Helen - a definite "celebrate with a piece of cherry pie" victory. This morning, as I ate breakfast and checked e-mails, Shayboon noticed that I had a muffin. His father, King Antar the Magnificant (a.k.a. The Monster) noticed, too. It happens that they like muffins. Shayboon reached out, not to touch someone, but to get a piece of said muffin. Grabbing the plate, I shooed him away. He stalled, walking reluctantly over the keyboard. Suddenly, the words on the screen were all two inches high! What?!!! How?!! Of course, the "help" feature is not at all helpful - long lists of totally useless info. HP "help". The same. Then, Helen, an idea! I took out my battered, falling apart, antique PHONE BOOK. Remember phone books, Helen? Yes, there was an actual customer service PHONE NUMBER for HP, and it led to a nice woman in the Philippines who graciously told me to press Ctrl and the minus key several times .... and it worked!
Mr. O.T., having had the stitches removed after surgery on his ear for a hematoma, is once again a happy boy - no more Elizabethan collar! Maybe, it was fashionable on her, but he didn't like it.
Time for bed now. Early night. A friend has been sending me pictures of ice houses. Seems that there is this hobby called ice fishing... Putting on a sweater now. :)
Sweet dreams!

Colleen in NYC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:26 pm 

Hi Colleen! I haven't been here in way too long. I missed you posts on NY life! ((hugs))

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:46 pm 

Me, too. We're working on getting the website "spiffied up". Really hoping everyone will come to check it all out!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:11 pm 

Hi, Helen! Hi, Night Crew! A friend e-mailed me an article about a charity fundraising dip in Lake Superior yesterday! I promptly brewed a cup of very strong tea! It's another hot soup night - 28 today, and a bitter wind. It may even be a four cats on the bed night I'm so thankful that Sandy isn't happening now! I had to take a train to NJ this morning, and there were quite a few non-travelers hanging out in Penn Station, their temporary refuge from the cold. I like Penn Station. It's kind of a hodge-podge of small shops selling popcorn, pretzels, delicious looking ice cream cones, pastries, coffee, newspapers. Travelers mill about the big train departures board, awaiting the annoucement of the gate for departure, then rushing en mass to that gate. "Train # for Philadelphia (long list of names) ........ Hollywood now boarding at trace 2." Hollywood? That Hollywood? Do dreamers still take a train to Hollywood? The man who used to do the famous, "All aboard!" calls retired several years ago. I miss those "All aboard!"s There's still something magical about gliding along in a train, though - even if it's just through the industrial marshes of NJ - but then, Perth Amboy, Bradley's Beach, Point Pleasant ...pebbles visible in clear water, seagulls! I was going to a memorial service for a dear Welsh woman named Edith Jenkins, returning to the church where we had said good-bye to her equally dear husband, Dr. Cyril Jenkins, some four years ago. I saw two ducks swimming together, impervious to the cold and the wind, and thought of this wonderful couple, and of their lives of kindness and service to so many people. I raise my tea cup in salute. Sheila, Polly, you hardy souls! Stay warm! Looking forward to meeting at Helen's again! It has indeed been too long.

G'night.

Colleen in NYC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:12 pm 

Hi, Helen! Hi, Day Crew!
Taking advantage of a quiet moment to say hello. Spring is trying to come in NYC - my hellebores are all flattened out, but the daffodils are coming up! How is everyone coping?

Colleen in NYC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:13 pm 

Hi, Helen! Hi, Night Crew! I wasn't sure if the Cafe was still open! Thought of you last night. We had a big event Sunday at the Welsh church - celebrating St. David's Day. He founded many monasteries and preached. Curiously, he is known as the "water bearer" - because he didn't drink alcohol! We had a guest preacher from Wales, Tad Deiniol, who is a Welshman, Welsh speaker, whose spiritual journey led him to the Russian Orthodox Church - and he has founded the only Russian Orthodox Church in Wales! Meaningful service, dinner, and singing afterwards - a truly special Sunday.

By Tuesday, the previous weeks and the winter finallycaught up with me. I went to Trellis, one of the last neighborhood coffee shops, on Roosevelt Island. The waiters greet me with "Order of fries?" I finished with a cup of coffee, and it was restorative, just to sit and watch the hustle and bustle.

Rejoicing in spring, I ordered "Royal Hellebores Mix" - three hellebores - hopefully, a mixture of pinks.

The cats are already dozing - and it's only 10:00 I think they've got the right idea.

Hope the Northland thaws out soon!

Is there going to be a party for Jeff's book?

Come on back to the Cafe! Night, all!

Colleen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:05 pm 

Friday night! Ahhhhhh! The winter darkness that began at 5 PM is banished! The chilled forsythia is still hanging in therel Stocky little purple tubes are pushing up beside the daffodils. Maybe, by next month, there will be little green tubes - hostas! The usual cacophany as I stride through the Times Square subway station - young men hurling themselves through the air, break dancing, the serious young teenager playing a keyboard, with his even more serious father nodding his head in time, a younger boy, who smiles sometimes -also, with a serious father, a man drumming frantically on an improvised drum set of plastic tubs. Once again, I remember the hunched old man with the longish grey hair, sitting on a stool at his keyboard, playing tunes as the keyboard boomed out rhythms and a hula figurine swayed in time. I can't actuallly remember the last time I saw him. Maybe, he has gone to play for Ed Koch. Maybe, he just got tired of the cold and the noise and the pace and went to Florida... Tomorrow, I'm singing at a Ukrainian wedding in Astoria! I think they are going to get a milder day. "Happy is the bride the sun shines upon..."
The party people are gathering. Going to slip into bed before they get going!
Happy weekend, all!

Colleen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:59 pm 

Good afternoon, Helen! Hello, Day Crew!
Today is the day of relaxation and appreciation after yesterday's adventure a trip to Astoria, Queens, to sing at a Ukrainian wedding. Astoria is a special neighborhood - lots of families, small buildings, apartments that might come with a backyard for a garden (!), fantastic Greek food. One very important thing to remember, though, when traveling there. Do not assume that you can figure out from the subway map where you are going. It is not what it seems. Look it up on line first. I did not do that. Mistake.
The church was on 30th St. 30-12 30th Street. Looking at the subway map, there was an R train to 36th St. Close. Yes. OK - exit at 34th St. - even better! Uh, oh. Outside, I ftound myself looking at a bleak, industrial, inhospitable scene, intersected by several busy streets. Seeing a local person, I thought it good to ask the way to "the Ukrainian Catholic Church on 30th St. "Sure - cross the street, walk up to the Spanish deli, turn left - you'll run right into it." OK. That's a deli - but is it Spanish? Don't see another one. Hmmmm. Oh, there's a woman having a cigarette in front of a beauty shop. " "Yes - right around the corner, next to the school." Onward. Aha! There! St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church. Guess they heard "church" and not "Ukrainian". OK. Let's get back on track. 30th Street! Wait a minute. Why does that house number say 59-14? Trudge on. Oh, look at the snow coming down! It's cold! Where is this place? Two friendly looking people nearing. "Do you know where..." "Sure. I have a Smartphone. Let me look it up..... No. Oh, yes. Oh.. I'm really sorry, this is a new phone. I don't really know how to use it. I think we saw a Ukrainian church last night - just a few blocks down." "Thank you. I appreciate your trying." House number 40-30. Is it possible? 39-64, 39-48, 30-40, 30-22, 30-12! There it is! Oh. What's that just down the block? A subway station - on the N train, not the R...
The snow stopped in time for the happy couple to leave for their honeymoon. All's well that end's well.

Colleen in NYC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:48 am 
Site Admin

Good morning friends,

A friend reminded me that not many have been coming and visiting Helen's these days. I just re-read my opening statement when we created this little corner spot of the internet for Helen to come visit and her responses... Sorry Helen, I've been remiss at coming and looking at your picture on the wall, hanging over next to the old pot belly stove we put in so that the place always radiates the warmth it had when you were still hanging out offering people a cup of coffee and some conversation about the world around us.

It's snowing here...again...we've been getting 5 to 7 inches each snowfall and they seem to be coming every couple of days now so winter doesn't want to let go. Maybe the ground hog was wrong this year? Maybe March will go out like a lamb, huh?

Thanks for the coffee Helen, the old metal coffee pot on top of the woodstove keeps it nice and warm and strong. I'll be back to visit again.

Your friend always,

Jeff

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." (Martin Luther King, Jr.)
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:38 pm 

Hi, Helen! Hi, Night Crew! Look who stopped by! Hi, Jeff! Agreed - there's something about a stove with and a pot of coffee - or tea! In Scotland, years ago, the kitchen was the heart of the house - because it was the room that was warm! What I remember most when I think of Sam's Falafel (now sadly turned into Go Go Curry) is the big tea kettle that Mustafa always had on sitting on the grill.
I think we need to have a word with those two groundhogs. Tonight, in NYC, the ground is covered with slush. Snow has turned to rain. It's a good night to be indoors.
Take care on those long roads up there!

Colleen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:37 am 

Hi, Helen! Hi, morning crew!
I wondered if Eilene had dropped off some Florida sunshine?
Got to banish the gray, make it go away!
Come on, sun! How come you're on the run!

Colleen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:10 am 

Hi, Helen! Hi, Morning Crew!
Just dashing in for a quick hello. The radiator is hissing - a beautiful sound. It means heat! Cats are taking the after breakfast nap. Determined plants continue to poke through the softening soil. The big closet shouts, "Reorganize me!" Jeff says they keep getting snow in the Northland. I heard a nasty rumor that some is coming our way Monday.

Slog, slog, slog along.
Got to sing a cheerful song!
C'mon, winter! Go away!
I want to see a sunny day!

Off and running till late.

Colleen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:35 am 
Site Admin

Hey things are looking up here Colleen - we now see ever-growing patches of actual earth under the glacier! Two weeks ago I was on Excalibur moving back all the snow and wondering where I was going to put it all given the height of all the snow banks (mountains!) and now they're finally dropping and melting away. The earth needs the snow to replenish the water tables so it's all good. Keep writing Colleen - we love your updates!

Jeff

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." (Martin Luther King, Jr.)
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:55 pm 

Awe, coffee pots warming on the pot belly stove. It also brings me back to childhood. :) It must finally be getting to be spring. I brushed both dogs and couldn't believe the fur that came off of Sophie. She sure is a furry devil! I was able to go and visit my parents for Easter Sunday. It was nice to surprise them. Especially since I went up last weekend to see them and my mom ended up in the hospital again. It's sad they are starting to remember her quite well on the 3rd floor. The good news is the staff are great and take wonderful care of my mom when she is there.

I have had a ton going on. I have come to the conclusion I need a career change. I have begun to look around a bit and I want to go back to school and get a bachelors degree. I am thinking about Human Services because I would be able to transfer a lot of my credits from my Associates Degree in Criminal Justice, and UW-Stout offers the degree on line. I would also be able to finish it up in about 2 years.

It's amazing how good one feels when you finally make a decision for yourself. I have realized my job is making me a very angry person and I don't want to be anymore. This is the first of many changes I am making for myself and becoming a better person. I'm not really sure how my hubby has put up with me for so long. I'm glad he is awesome!

I have applied for a position as an Administrative Assistant to the Health and Human Services Director with the county. This would be a great opportunity for me and would keep me close to what I want to go to school for. If you have any pull Helen, I could use a little now.

All my critters are doing well. My hounds need a trip up to Superior though. They need to run around and chase some squirrels. Sophie also misses playing with Tatum (my parents puppy) they have a great time together. They manage to keep one another out of trouble when together. Tatum doesn't' chew up as much stuff when Sophie is around. He managed to chew up the power cord on a sander and an extension cord while my dad was doing something in the shop. Roscoe on the other hand likes to hang out with my mom. He watches her very carefully when she is walking and follows her. He will follow her to the bathroom and wait patiently for her to come back out then follow her back. He doesn't rest until she is back in her chair. Then he lays down on the floor by her. Every once in a while he will get up and check on her and put his head on her leg. Once he is satisfied she is alright then he lays down again. He sure is a sweet dog.

Well I'm going to get going. Thanks for listening while I ramble my thoughts away Helen. Have a good night.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:28 pm 

Hi, Helen! Hi, Night Crew and Hi. QUEL! Seems that spring or fall are the times for big changes - I congratulate you! Will pray for you to get that job! Yes, to be suspended between decisions is so draining. Now, that you've taken the plunge, you're ready to do some real swimming! I'm smiling at the thought of your sweet dog, looking after your mom. Hope she's through with the hospital for a long time now!
Jeff, I can imagine how thrilling it would be to see the ground up there! When can you start to plant?
We had our Easter celebration (Pascha) Saturday night - sang and sang, starting at 11:00 PM, then feasted after. I got home at 4:30, just as the club was closing for the night. The cats were thrilled to get some of the food from the feast, then we all turned in about 5:30. Sunday was a really quiet day!
NYC is stirring with the "Let's get going! Winter's over!" energy. I was hurrying to the subway the other day when I heard "Pum! Pum! PUM PUM PUM pum PUM!" and ?a trumpet? Yes! Turning the corner, I faced a line of young women in snazzy blue and white uniforms, seriously twirling batons. A man passed out flyers for a demonstration and a health fair. Then, at Columbus Circle, a chubby-cheeked trumpet player, bundled up in a down coat, played "Oh, when the saints come marching in..." Later, at 42nd Street, a woman, dressed entirely in white - clothes, hair, skin stood motionless. like a ballet dancer on an antique music box. Her eyes, lined in black, glittered. If someone put a contribution into a white can, she "came to life" with graceful gestures and a bow, before becoming motionless once again. Today, a friend and I stood in the cold (yes, after a mild day yesterday, it was a "Where are my gloves?" day today) and carefully repotted a vandalized hellebore, marvelling at the toughness of flowers. We think it's going to make it! We'll all make it through!
We will!
G'night, all! Have hopeful dreams!

Colleen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:12 pm 

Hi,Helen! Too early to say hi to the Night Crew.
Spring has finally come to NYC! Bryant Park (5th Ave. and 40th) is bordered by giant gray plaster pots, filled with daffodils and blue-violet pansies.
On Roosevelt Island, we still aren't allowed into the garden, even though the fire marshall has completed his inspection. I can at least stand on the base of the fence and see my little spot.
I just read something about an old Brazilian saying, "God first made man. Then, He thought better of it and made woman. When He got time, He made the horse, which has the courage of man and the grace and beauty of woman."
The author also quotes, "Mohammed taught that, "Every grain of barley given to a horse is entered by God in the Register of Good Works."
What is endearing about the little book is that, on the back cover, there is a picture of a family - reading together!
One can always hope!
G'night, all.

Colleen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:38 pm 

Hi, Helen! Hi, Night Crew! It's almost time to get out the iced coffee! I was on the Island, sitting outside the stll closed garden, watching the soccer players on the adjoining field dart about. Having been a gym class klutz, I marvel at the speed of soccer, the artistry of figure skating, the suspense of a tennis rally. Tonight, I found a little plat of dried out plants that someone had discarded in the laundry room. I watered them and then, when my laundry was done, noticed that one of them had perked up and was actually a nice little plant! Just as the plant revived, I have hope that we will all be able to return to our beloved garden soon. Meanwile, it was just good to sit there and smell the earth and hear the birds singing their evening song. One of the ferals was lounging on my bench.
Cinnamon Snickety is in my lap now. This year, he has matured into quite an impressive grown-up "big boy". He still thinks he's a baby, though!
Quel, any update on the new job hunt? Sheila in Dakota, Mary in Arizona, Polly with my friend Belle... please stop by! I do appreciate Eilene's updates on BHFER. We can start getting the balloons and the streamers ready for Jeff's book - another happy thought!

G'night, all!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:23 pm 

What an experience I had tonight! For a few moments, I thought I was Dorothy in "The Wizard of Oz"! We'd been getting reports of an impending storm - thunder, heavy rain. I hurried to Roosevelt Island to wrap plastic bags around the little palm tree, which had already been soaked over the winter months. Riding back to the tram on the red bus, I looked out the window, across the East River, to Manhattan. The sky dark, dark grey - almost black! The lights of the skyscrapers gleamed eerily. The lights of the tram flickered, as it bravely navigated through that dark, dark sky. I never saw a sky like that before. "Maybe, I'd better take the subway instead," I said to the driver. He had been whistling happily. "I love this!", he exclaimed. The bus looped along the East Channel to Coler Hospital, then, back to the tram. In that short time, the darkness dispersed (!) - blown out to sea perhaps? The tram carried us over the East River, as usual. I dashed for the #6 train to E.68th St. Emerged to pouring rain. It was only a dash across the road to Hunter College, and it turned out to be a fun evening, as the playwrights brought in really good scenes to read - ending with a scene in which we all improvished a tap dance!
Back to the #6 to come home. Good timing - train coming in! Crowded. Wait, lots of room in the next car. Hurry in. Uh, oh! I had forgotten something: whenever there is a crowded subway car, and the adjoining car has only a few people in it - the chances are that there is a very STRONG reason, as in smell. Sure enough, a large homeless man (?) was sprawled out on one of the seats. Next stop - an exodus to the crowded car. A woman muttered, "I don't believe this! I was on the #6 this afternoon with the same guy! He hasn't moved from the car!" "Do you think he's dead?" I asked, startled. "Nah. I saw him move."
Finally, my familiar little street. The security guy at the club had snapped a photo of that terrible sky, seen from Long Island City. The air smells really fresh now. The garden needed it. There's an NYU dorm nearby. NYU is a dirty word in the Village, because they currently want to destroy a beautiful little garden and build two ugly highrises. One thing they have done right is to plant hundreds of daffodils in the strip of ground along the front of the dorm - cheerful in the daylight, and glowing softly like little pale stars at night!
The cats are settling in, with Nico and Feathery Paws having just had a wrestling match. G'night, all! Sweet dreams!

Colleen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:01 am 

Hi, Helen! Hi, Night Crew! We were able to return to the garden today! What a relief! It was cold and wet, but I planted the first plant of spring! Little green "lipstick tubes" (hostas) are poking up and (surprise) a fistful of tightly furled new hellebores! I celebrated after at Trellis with a cup of tea and a toasted English muffin. Trellis is a neighborhood coffee shop (although with a pretty extensive menu). Whenever there is a food drive, or some other collection (i.e., after Sandy), Trellis is always part of it. When an Islander dies, they post a notice of the arrangements on the door. Sam's Falafel was like that, but much smaller. Tonight, King Antar the Magnificent had some catnip for dessert. He gets very silly, happily rolling about. Nico (the shy bunny cat) also enjoys catnip - and tried to catch Antar's tail. All are happily dozing, while the party people are clustering outside. It's some kind of Russian event tonight, the guys at the door tell me. The Empire State Building is only half visible tonight, as is the new World Trade Center building going up. It's good to see lights down there again. Just got an e-mail about the latest snow storm up North. You must have had some cold winters, Helen, living on that island in the middle of the St. Lawrence River. Maybe, the reason why winter is so bleak is that it makes spring seem even more wonderful!
G'night, all! Happy gardening!

Colleen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:47 pm 

Hello, Helen! Hi, Night Crew!
Birds were singing this morning, the sky was bright, and it wasn't as cold as it had been. As usual, people hurried along the street, talking on their phones, coffee cups in hand, barely noticing the trees with the soft white blossoms. As usual. Only the newspapers told a different story, shouted the story, of a wonderful city in mourning today. Once again, surrounded by the beauty that God created for us, violence and death. Did the bomber have an eight year old little brother, I wonder? Did he have an older sister?
I called two old friends in Boston, both safe, and the years dropped away. One of them would have been working at Trinity Church that day, near the blast, but it was closed because of Patriot's Day.
Time has a way of easing disappointments. I remember a vibrant city, the "paak the caah" accent, the little restaurant on Newbury Street where the receptionist looked like Queen Elizabeth I, and my friend Priscilla, an eccentric who gardened in the Victory Gardens and had a pet named "Turtle", who was indeed a large turtle. I remember the market in the North End, the swan boats, and Baileys, which had the best ice cream sundaes, to be enjoyed amidst greeting cards and fancy tins of candy and stuffed animals. I always thought it was really neat that Paul Revere actually lived, and that you could visit his house!
Others live in Boston now, and enjoy being there, as I did, but now, this special place has been attacked, wounded. We don't know why. We will probably never know why. Dear God, please help those who are suffering now, help those caring for them, help those who are are grieving, help, oh, help.
It's Tuesday. The club usually isn't open on Tuesdays, but it's open tonight. The party people are gathering. As usual.

G'night, Helen. G'night all.

Colleen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:36 pm 

There are a lot of tourists in NYC now - really, a good time to come. The pink cherry blossoms are beautiful, and there are tulips everywhere! So much loveliness!
I have a friend in Calvary Hospice. His name is Bill. He is a gentleman, considerate and still thinking of others. He is a scholar - knows so much about church history, languages, and life in general. Above all, Bill is a man of great faith, and he is serene as he approaches what he believes will be his last week on earth. He said the other day that some people think of God as an employer; he has always thought of him as a friend. "He does take care of us," he affirmed.
He is grateful for the good care that he is receiving, and for the many visitors who have been coming. He wishes to stay aware as long as he can, but the pain is getting worse now. Please pray for this dear man, that he may indeed pass away, wrapped in the love of God.

Good night, friends.

Colleen in NYC

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:59 am 

Hi, Helen! Hi, Morning Crew!
Shayboon is purring softly, sitting in the window. I am gathering myself to proceed on with the day. I must water the garden tonight. Gardens are signs of hope, aren't they? Also, women having babies. I am hoping to start working on the two character Irish play by the end of the month. My fellow actor, Jim, and I wish to get this on its feet. The playwright is on a roll - one of the Off-B'way companies is interested in her play, "Moonlight on the Bayou", and she has just been accepted to Yale - a scholarship and the chance to write and benefit from Yale's reputation and talent base. We have to do this while she is still reachable! Apparently, the law school is not doing simulations this spring. That is not good news. Didn't get the "Spoon River". Looks like the infamous Somebody Else showed up again.
I am reading a moving book, "Father Arseny, 1893-1973 Priest, Prisoner, Spiritual Father". Bill, who is dying in Calvary Hospital, mentioned it. There has been a change in his condition, as of Monday night. His body is there, but he does not respond. His soul has begun the journey. Please say a prayer for his passing.
The cats, as it is written in the Psalms, "....wild beasts return to the lairs, will man goes out to his work...." Ymlaen!

Colleen in NYC

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:43 pm 

Hi Everyone! Hi Dear Colleen. Read through your posts and enjoy as I always do.
Took little DJ in for grooming this am. He looks so funny and I am trying not to laugh at him. He is very sensitive about his looks. Actually he is mad because it was to early to take off his winter coat.

A friend and I went rummaging today. Since it takes 3 hours for DJ to be groomed, we had time to waste. It was freezing cold and windy. However, I did find 3 necklaces and 4 bracelets, a beautiful boho comforter, a little electric tea pot, picture, a leaf sculpture like thing and a book. Hope the weather warms up before the next rummaging adventure.

Too cold for planting but I guess cold is better than snow. We have to go tree shopping. Don't know when I will do my herbs and what ever we decide on for plants. I haven't looked at roses. I guess I should have gotten those in the ground, but the ground is too soggy.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:08 pm 

Hi, Helen! Hi, Night Crew! Hi, Sheila! Well, the hostas that I ordered from Springhill are being reshipped - they sent them to the wrong address - three blocks away from where they should have gone. if it had been a doorman building, I might have been able to make arrangements to have them call me when they came, but it wasn't. It's still chilly here, but after seeing Quel's picture of the snow (noooooooo!), no complaints!

I have a happy NYC story to recall. Yesterday, a long time patient was told that she had to go from the doctor's office right to the hospital. "But, but I need my cell phone, my address book, something to read! Can I go home and get them and come back?" No - the ambulance had already been called. I offered to go to her place and get the items, and bring them to the hospital. She was delighted, called the doorman, and sent me off to take a cab. Later, mission accomplished, I discovered that I did not have my phone. I'd left it in one of the cabs. Well, I eventually reached the cabbie - a friend had called me, and he had picked up and told her that he had it. Then, I reached him, and this morning, he brought it back to me! I gave him a tip and prayed that he would get a lot of good fares today.

Helen, you might be meeting two special beings. Bill, from our church, left the body that was giving him so much trouble early this morning. David the Irish, gave a fitting obituary:

"We used to share coffee and peanut butter with a Saint!
How great God is, for combining such a brilliant mind, a humble heart and and a faithful soul into one of His human creatures!"

In the morning's e-mails was also news about Halo, the first dog to utterly win over this cat person! Cars are as dangerous as coyotes, and she liked to roam. Now, she can play with her little cat buddy, Crash.

Helen, I think I'm going to pretend that I'm in Wisconsin and go to bed at 10 tonight!

G'night.

Colleen

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:13 pm 

Hi, Helen! Hi, Night Crew! Tonight, I decided to use a gift certificate to a place called Panero's, by Union Square. Fortified by a delicious Greek salad, cup of chicken noodle soup, and a fresh baguette, I decided to walk on to "Alphabet City", one of the old neighborhoods that still feels like a neighborhood (perhaps because it is a little hike from the nearest subway). Small buildings, small rescued gardens. some people sitting on stoops, small businesses on every block. En route, I passed a small, almost invisible, bar with a sign in the window, "Sundays at 6 - crawdad boil!". Back to Second Avenue - the Ukrainian block, a scrumptious looking Italian bakery, Little Poland - "Home Made Polish Cooking", next to the Little Pakistan Deli. Further down, two old men sitting on folding chairs on a dark stretch of pavement in front of a boarded-up lot - playing harmonicas, each stamping a foot in rhythm, while one would break off and sing, in a raspy voice, "Baby, did he kiss you? Did he kiss you there? Did he kiss you there?" Turning down St. Mark's Place - Indian restaurant row! The Grand Bangladesh Restaurant, cheerfully aglow with strands of lights in the windows. "Dinner?" a man in a suit asked, hopefully, gesturing to the restaurant. "Khub ballo. Next time." I replied. "Khub ballo!" he answered. Nearing the edge of my turf, I passed two young men talking. "...a cat in there?" one was asking the other. "Yes," the man smiled, "there was a big cat in there. It made me smile, so I bought it..." A stuffed animal? A real cat? Time to get home to my own cats, large and small. Smile down on our City, dear Helen. It is really is special.

G'night, Helen. G'night all.

Colleen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:18 pm 

Hi, Helen! Hi, Night Crew! I was afraid that there might be a "Closed" sign on the cafe. Time has a way of speeding along. After a cold, discouraging spring, it's summer! I've always liked summer - even though it can get hot and humid in NYC. I've always enjoyed summer evenings in the garden. I can order a celebratory hot fudge sundae - I finally got cast in a show. It's called "The Photo Album" - I would describe it as a theatrical version of karaoke - plus a scavenger hunt! (Huh?) The premise is that an old house was being renovated, and a lot of photographs were found of people who had lived there. These are spread out on a big table on the stage. The audience members scan any photo that catches their eye; a clue appears, i.e., "Find the woman with the puffin tote bag and say.....(they are given a phrase). The actor may then respond with a monologue, or might hand the audience member a script to join in. The actors are spread out through the theater, and different stories are going on at the same time - so, it will be a challenge for concentration - plus the interaction with the audience. Kind of an actor's gym, you might say. I'm looking forward to it!
I'm looking at pick-ups and thinking of the Northlands, Helen. Maybe, in late August, I can come up, maybe not. Not sure yet. I sent off a photo and resume for some film work. Fingers crossed. Exploring a couple of other possibilities. Until then, please think of us down here!
Meanwhile, tomorrow is Saturday! :D
Happy summer, Night Crew!

Colleen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:45 pm 

Hi Helen, you left us 4 years ago today, your Windchill family misses you!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UWx-shGM0g

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:23 pm 

Hi, Helen!
Happy fourth birthday in Heaven! I'm not sure where the Night Crew has gone, but I know that you're remembered! Tonight, after being all keyed up for an audition, I walked down Broadway from 86th Street to 61st, past Zabar's, with the picture of the enterprising couple who founded the store, past Fairway, with enticing bins of fresh fruit, past posters for American Ballet Theatre at Lincoln Center, past tourists sitting around the fountain, enjoying the summer night. Finally, adrenaline depleted, I eased onto a bench. It wasn't an ordinary bench. No, the bench has an occupant - a life-sized bronze statue of the founder of the American Bible Society. He sits serenely, with his right hand extended. I was thinking of how I still love New York, and of all of the people who have come into my life - some only briefly, some, to stay longer - and what a mystery it all is, really. Impulsively, I reached out and held the hand of the statue. I noticed that the hand, unlike the rest of the statue, was shiny. I suspect that a lot of people might hold his hand for a moment. As my Irish friend would say, Helen, you're safe in the hands of God. i'm offering up a little prayer now that Lori will feel that touch of comfort as she thinks of you. Thank you for your posts, Helen, and for your "visits".

Colleen in NYC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:18 pm 

Hi, Helen! Get out the balloons! Good news! I've been cast in an Equity showcase production of "Separate Tables" - first rate play, wonderful role! Opening Oct. 2nd!

Guess that time up in WI rejuvenated me!

Onward!

Colleen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:38 pm 

Helen, it's been way too long since I last visited here, and I apologize for that. Today is my sad day--37 years ago my first daughter, a wee little preemie, was born, and heartbreakingly, died. In today's world she would most likely have lived. I was recently cleaning out a drawer, and found that last letter you sent me. I miss your wisdom and strength, your quiet, cheerful good nature. I feel your presence still, and I know you're right here with us, with the Windchill Legacy. Thank you, my dear friend, your guiding hand is so appreciated. You are loved.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:43 am 
Site Admin

Good morning Helen's memory, and good morning friends,

I know I'm not good at posting, I generally swing in and check to see what the latest news is around here and then move along with my day. Today I'm sitting here a little under the weather with a steaming mug of decaf coffee (I know, I know it's decaf but with the flu they say caffeinated coffee is bad for you...) and catching up. If you're around, swing in to Helen's here, pour a cup of the real stuff in the mug and join me here next to the woodstove and warm up and catch up on things, I'd love to hear what's happening in your world before you need to get going and get the busy day started.

Jeff

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

Hi guys...and as always, hi Helen,

We have been working on so many things - including a new forum that it seems there's never any time to come back here. So this morning I'm sitting here with a steaming mug of coffee next to the woodstove. Somebody let it die down to just embers so I've re-stocked it with a bunch of split wood. I love to listen to the crackle. Other than typing this greeting out, I'm sitting here with a fountain pen and notebook making some notes. I still miss you popping up in instant messenger every morning Helen, it forced me to slow down during our morning 'talks'. Just like stopping by here does. Though we don't get back here enough - please know we're working on lots folks. Our new website launched, our new forum is under development, I've been busy doing book signings all over MN and WI. We have a couple of new little faces - miniature horses starting their visits at schools. They're adorable little guys! We have some new faces on our board and everybody has their 'homework' so we're all chipping away on projects.

Have a good morning my friends. I miss our talks. I'll leave the woodstove stocked up and warming this place and you can look out at the snow. Maybe write yourself some notes in your own notebook. Nothing like the feel of a pen gliding over paper sometimes, right? See you later guys.

Jeff

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:14 pm 

Anybody still out there??

I'm really missing my Windchill Family today, Helen. We're all immersed in the busyness of life, which does, indeed, go on. Thinking about you and everyone who used to meet here to catch up on what's happening in our worlds. Seemed like Facebook was replacing that, but there's too much information there, too many people to stay in touch like we used to here. So I'm asking for a "howdy" from everyone, along with a "whazzup" in your world these days. I care, and miss you all!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

Good day Helen and friends,

It's later in the day. I've had more than enough coffee today. Probably too much in fact! It's been a long week, lots of things going on at work and elsewhere. Lots of big news on the personal front - the days ahead are sure going to be busy and exciting.

I spent my morning splitting firewood. After a stressful week it's a good way to let my mind drift and just enjoy the steady cadence of splitting a piece of wood, tossing it into the pile, lift another one up on the log and doing it again. Not to mention what it does for my muscles and chest - they feel great, makes me feel alive on a cool November day!

I don't know how many still come here Helen but I drop in from time to time to catch up. To pour a steaming mug of coffee and sit down in that creaky rocking chair over near the pot belly stove we put in to warm the place. It was dusty, been awhile since it was last sat in I guess.

Here's hoping they have good coffee where you are Helen. We still remember you.

Your friend always,

Jeff

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:58 pm 

Jeff, how very strange: I also was thinking about Helen and the lovely posts we all have made here just this morning. I miss keeping up, miss Windchill's family. Nice to hear what you've been doing on this very chilly day--we also have been working on preparation for the cold weather right around the corner. Looking forward to hearing the very exciting news!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:40 am 
Site Admin

Morning Helen,

I see another year has passed. I wonder if time moves as quickly where you are now as it does here or it's irrelevant. I'll bet it no longer matters there. And I'll bet the coffee is amazing! I just came back to slow down for a bit, have a cup of that hot steaming coffee from the pot kept near the wood stove. It's quiet here. I see your daughter and grand-daughter are happy and well, we all stay in touch on FaceBook these days. From what I can tell they're a lot like you - same humor, same strength. It must make you proud to see you created a legacy that lives on.

Im going to plug in the Christmas lights while I'm here. They make everything magical, don't you think?

Your friend always,

Jeff

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:29 am 
Site Admin

Good morning Helen,

Just stopping by to make sure the place is still in order. A bit dusty, had to fire up the potbelly stove to get some heat going. Now I'm sitting with a steaming mug of black coffee and re-reading posts from days past from when you were still physically here. Still miss your IMs in the morning at work. I don't log in much there anymore. First there was you to brighten my mornings, later a woman named Bonnie Esala took over the morning job of checking in. Now both of you look down from above. One day we'll all have coffee again in person.

I hope they have coffee in heaven guys and that you're enjoying a mug as well.

Your friend,

Jeff

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:35 pm 

This is Bubba, I broken hearted that I lost my Bubba on May, 24, 2017.
Attachment:
P8251280.jpg
P8251280.jpg [ 201.19 KiB | Viewed 2594 times ]
Wow, had to look up my password, used to know it by heart, I do come here to the forum occasionally to look up things when I've been talking to some of my friends about Windchill. Once I get on the forum I just start reading the threads.

Jeff I didn't know Bonnie IM you, so cool!!

Helen Tina is on FB now, I'm friends with her. She flew down to Beauty' Haven about 6 years ago and I picked her up from the airport and drove her to Beauty's
Haven, she stayed for a week. She is a lovely young lady, I haven't spoken to her in several years, I don't get on Facebook much because both my parents have been ill the last 3 years, Dad passed away on June 26th, so very busy with mom and trying to keep up the homes, I have brother to help, but he works.

Windchill seems so long ago to me sometimes and things sure have changed.

Can you believe it, I have six cats now at my house and 2 outside at my mom's house and 1 inside at mom's house. His name is Bubba, I call him Bubba Dubba, lol, he has leukemia so I can't bring him to my home, but he enjoys being the only one and getting lots of attention. He's really a cool cat. Here's a picture.

Here's BooKitty she just turned 1.

This is Bookitty as a baby she's a big girl now, I just haven't had time to upload some pictures. My camera software has been upgraded and it's confusing to me, really like the old, but just don't have the time to sit and play around with the uploads. She always had to be near mom and doesn't want to miss a thing, right now she is sitting by the computer

Attachment:
PA111306.JPG
PA111306.JPG [ 118.67 KiB | Viewed 2594 times ]

Profile E-mail  

Page 16 of 16 [ 1170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16