It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 32 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sunday's Training Blog
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:53 am 

Hi there
I am Ledge and Kisses sister. SHE sent me home with her friend Katie to do what SHE calls ground work with, so I will be ready for riding when I get home at the end of the summer. SHE is too busy working with Katie's horse, who is my brother too, to do much work with me, so Katie is going to do it. I dont really know what all that means, but thats what Katies said.
So this is my training blog.
Sunday

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Sunday's Training Blog
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:54 am 

Friday, June 12, 2009

'This day started out like all other days, just hanging out in the pasture with my friends eating hay, and swatting at bugs with my tail. Around mid-day the humans decided they wanted to play the box game with me. The box game is okay, I always win and when I do I get to have some grain. I went to the large blue box with the humans and one human got into the box and held the grain bucket just out of my reach making me stretch my neck. Now I could just walk into the box right away but that wouldn't be much of a game for the humans so I humor them and act like I don't know that they want me to actually climb into the box with them.

I kept the game up for about 5 minutes before deciding that I really wanted to win and have some of that grain. With a little encouragement from the human that was on the ground by my tail I put all four feet into the trailer and was able to have some of that yummy grain. As in past games the human on the ground closed the back end of the box. They've done this before and after a little while they open the box up and I get to go back to the pasture. This time, though, the human in the box with me tied me up inside the box and then, somehow, disappeared out a special trap door on the side of the box. I didn't know that these boxes had trap doors so I started looking for one on the side I was tied to. I used my hoof to try to find the opening. Much to my surprise the box started to move. That's never happened before. Holy pasture apples, this box went down the driveway and out onto the roads and it just kept on going.

At first I really didn't like being in this moving box but eventually I realized that they'd put some hay in here for me to eat and that being in the moving box didn't hurt me at all and the box would slow down at times so that I could look outside and see where I was. I didn't recognize anything, I certainly wasn't at home any more. I was beginning to think that the box would never stop but eventually we pulled into a place and the human came and opened up the back of the box. I have to figure out how they do that. She came into the box and untied me and told me it was okay to get out of the box now. Hm... I wasn't too sure about that. First of all I wasn't convinced that the box wouldn't move again if I tried to get out, secondly, I did not know where I was, and third, well, my legs weren't working too good any more. Kind of felt a bit rubbery if you know what I mean.

The human talked to me and told me that I had done really well for my first trailer ride, aside from the kicking I'd done when I was looking for the trap door. This human petted my nose and told me that this was a preparatory school for horses and that I was going to spend the summer here learning everything a horse needs to know before having a rider. Well, I don't know what a rider is and I'm not sure that I want to go to school. After a few minutes the human pulled on my halter and I was able to get out of the trailer. Boy my legs felt funny. It took a while before I could walk normally. The human put me into a pasture all by myself. Ok, if this is a school, where are the other students?

There's only one other horse here and he's 18 years old and claims he's not a student. He's kind of cute, though and he told me that this was a nice place to be, that there is lots of food, and pets if you are into that sort of thing. After getting a chance to look around the human put me into a stall with some nice hay and some fresh water then she turned off the lights and told me to get some rest and she'd see me in the morning. The other horse, Bo, he came into his stall and spent the night hanging out near me. He was very reassuring and I think I might like him back.

What an adventure this day turned out to be.

Sunday

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:54 am 

Saturday, June 13, 2009

The human took me out of the stall this morning and put me into a small pasture all by myself. She put the other horse, Bo, into a small pasture by himself. We ran up and down the fence line for a while just because it felt good to be free. The human put hay out for both of us and after a while the human went back into the house. Bo and I hung out together and when the bugs got bad we went into the barn. We can both go in and out but we are separated. I have to tell you, this Bo horse, he's really cute. He looks a lot like me and he's really smart and funny too.

When we were standing in the barn he told me that he knew how to make the human 'freak-out'. I said, "sure, what-ever"; I don't want to seem too interested in Bo. Bo said that if he took the gate down between the two stalls and came into my field with me that the human would come running down to the barn and be all excited about it. So I said to Bo, "how are you going to take the gate down?" he laughed and said watch this, and he put his head under one rung and lifted it off the hinges. Then he just set the gate down inside his stall and walked into my stall. Now how clever is that? Bo said he couldn't understand why the human wouldn't just put a pretty filly like me in with him to begin with and that some humans just take a while to learn things.

Well, we stayed in the barn for a little while and then we snuck outside to the pasture where the human could see us. Sure enough, that human came tearing out of the house. Bo and I just laughed and laughed. Bo said it would be the polite thing to do to go back to the barn and show the human that we were both okay and that all we both wanted was to be together.

The human checked us both over and since we weren't hurt she just put more hay out so there would be enough for both of us, and then when she saw how many bugs there were, but a fly bonnet onto me and left us together. Bo promised the human that he'd take care of me and that human said he'd better that if there was even one small mark on me from him that his days on earth were over.

More later,

Sunday

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:05 pm 

Sunday, ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?? Oh, thank God! We thought the big blue box ate you, and then ran away because it got full! Ledge and I ran back and forth all day yesterday, calling and looking for you. We hoped you'd figure out a way to escape, especially since you're pretty good with your hooves. My Best Person Ever came to see me later, and we did some walking, whoa, flexing, and down, but my heart just wasn't in it. She knew I missed you, so we only worked a little. She said she had a bad day, too, and that brushing me makes it better. It made me feel better, too.

It sounds like you are having an adventure. Tell you more: I miss you a lot, and hope you can come home soon!

Love your sister,
Kisses xo

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:37 am 

Monday, June 15, 2009

I have finally settled into the dorm here at the Karousel Acres Preparatory School for Horses. Since I have never spent much time in small stalls the human decided on Saturday night that I could stay in the large stall next to Bo if I agreed to behave and not try to take the gate down between the two stalls. I agreed to behave but in the middle of the night Bo and I both tried to get the gate down again. The human had obviously done something to the hinges because no matter what we did that gate stayed in place. Sunday night we gave up trying to get the gate down, it's no use spending our energy on it, it won't budge. We can still see each other and touch each other over the gate so I guess that will have to be enough for the night times.

Every morning the human puts Bo and I out in the back pasture and gives us some hay to eat. She always puts the hay out in three or four piles. At first I could not understand why she would do that since the hay at home is in just one big pile. I found out pretty quick that Bo Jangles doesn't like to share the hay and if I try to eat from the same pile as him he pins his ears back and tells me to leave him alone. WOW that kind of hurt my feelings but I realize that Bo doesn't care if I eat hay from the pile next to the one he's eating from so I guess it's okay. I asked Bo why he won't share food and he said it's because of something that happened to him when he was really young, younger than me. He said it's one of the reasons he's here at this place. I wondered about that because Bo doesn't take regular classes like I have to.

Saturday night the human said that because the hay wagon did not arrive that day that I would be starting my classes a day early and that I'd get day a day off when the hay wagon arrived. My first class is called "Grooming Etiquette" and in this class I need to learn to stand quietly while tied up so the human can brush my coat, comb my mane and tail, and pick my feet clean. When I can do all that consistently then I'll get to take the "Advanced Grooming Etiquette" class. In that class I'll have to learn to stand in cross ties, have the hair on my face shaved, and if I'm really talented, to have my coat vacuumed. After the class on Saturday night the human said that I did really well for a beginner but that I need to work on letting the humans handle my feet. The human gave me a treat at the end of the class and made me feel really proud of myself.

Sunday the hay wagon was delivered in the afternoon. The human said that there were 200 box lunches on the wagon. The human spent all day taking the hay off the wagon and stacking it up in the barn. Bo and I stood inside the barn and watched her work. Boy that hay smells wonderful. Bo and I asked if we could have some to eat but the human said no, that the fresh hay might make our tummies hurt that we had to wait a while for the hay to cure more. Bo and I were very disappointed in that decision. She gives us hay that is from last year and then stacks that yummy new hay just out of our reach. I asked Bo if there was any way to get to the new hay but he said, "no".

Sunday night the human separated us again but she let Bo go in and out of the barn into a small paddock but made me stay in the large stall. I didn't think that was fair and so I pooped in my grain bucket to let the human know that I was not pleased. I'm hoping that tonight she'll let me have the same freedom as Bo but the human said not to count on it. I asked Bo why he got more freedom than I did and he said it's because of his sore leg that keeping him confined makes his leg hurt so the human gives him lots of room to move around in. I asked Bo if he thought I'd ever get more freedom and he said that if I do well in my classes that the human will eventually give me the same freedom at night that he has. I guess that means I'll have to study real hard. I'm going to have to think about that while I'm out in the pasture today.

More later,

Sunday

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:45 am 

Sunday, what a new adventure you are having. Classes, and a new friend too. I am glad you are adjusting to boarding school. It should be a fun summer, and then you can go back home and show off.

Write soon and send a picture.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:06 pm 

Thursday, June 18, 2009

I have decided that I like being at prep school. Every morning I get to have a picnic breakfast outside with Bo. While we are busy eating the human cleans our dorm rooms. After three days here I finally decided how I want to use my room and I have one spot picked out for food, another spot that I like to nap in, and of course, a toilet area. The human seems to be very pleased with how I've arranged things and praises me for being such a neat and tidy horse.

About the time that I thought life here had reached it's norm and I felt that I was settling in with my class routine the human told me that I was going to have my class load increased. At first I thought that meant that she was going to use a heavier brush on me but it turns out that I have to take more than one class at a time. I think that I must be very smart. I'm apparently doing well enough in the Grooming Etiquette class that the human thinks I need to start my Horses in Motion class. I asked Bo about this new class and he told me that I will need to learn how to lead, to halt, to backup, to park out, and to lunge.

I think this new class is going to be a snap. I already know how to park out and I do this frequently during the Grooming Etiquette class. I want the human to appreciate just how talented and beautiful I am so when she ties me up, I park out and hold my head up and arch my neck while she grooms me. Bo said that's all fine and dandy but said that show horses do that on command, while in a line-up at a horse show, while carrying a rider on their back. I've never been to the theater so I don't know if Bo is making that up or if horses really do that. I'm going to have to learn more about that.

I also know how to lead really well and I've been trying to show the human just how much I know. When she puts the lead rope onto my halter I lean into it and pull the human behind me across the ground. I don't know why the human is so resistant to this leading and when I asked Bo about it, he snorted a bit and said that what this should be called is following because the objective is not for the horse to lead the human but for the human to lead the horse. I find that rather confusing. Now when I have completed the Grooming Etiquette class each day, the human puts a lead on me and we practice having her lead me around.

She tried a new way of attaching the lead tonight. Instead of hooking it onto the buckle under my chin, she threaded it up through that buckle, through the buckle on my left cheek, over my nose, and then hooked it onto the buckle on my right cheek. She gave me the command to walk and then she started to walk and I walked right next to her. We went about 10 feet and she gave me the command to whoa and when I kept going she put a little pressure on the lead rope and I stopped. Boy did that make the human happy. I got lots of praise and pets for doing that. This must be a favorite activity of the human because we did this over and over again for about 10 minutes. Walk 10 feet and whoa. Sometimes I'd have so much fun walking that I would forget that I was supposed to follow the human and then the human would make me stop right away so I could try it again.

I have no idea why I need to learn this leading stuff but since it gets me out of the dorm room for a while each night I'm going to just go with the flow for now and see where it leads me :)

Sunday

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:51 am 

Sunday thank you so much for writing about your daily training routine. I see energetic Layla as a teenager and wondered how horses get to be so well mannered as adults. Now I know they go to a prep school. I sure take advantage of all that training on the lesson horses I ride.
It sounds like you like the challenges and your teacher is very, very nice. I am so proud of you. Please keep writing. I am learning so much. Maybe at the end of the summer Gramma Carole and I can attend your groundwork demonstration graduation party.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:23 pm 

No one mentioned that there was a party at the end of this. I will have to ask Bo.

Sunday, June 21, 2009

I'm a bit upset with Bo Jangles. When the human comes to the barn to give us our supper he's been asking the human to please put him in his own room. I thought he enjoyed being with me and he says that he does but that after spending all day with me he needs to have some time alone and that he needs his space. Hm... I knew it was a mistake to for me to tell that gelding that I liked him. Now it's all about him. Well, two can play at that game. I'll focus on the human and then Bo will be sorry he treated me that way.

Last night when the human started the grooming class I stood very still and paid attention. This made the human happy and I got treats for doing well. Then the human got a spray bottle out and she started spritzing stuff on me that smelled really bad. I have to tell you I did not like this at all and I pulled on the rope and I moved around trying to get away from that stuff. The human talked to me and told me that it was no different that being rained on and that I'd get used to it. I don't think so. Rain doesn't smell this bad. I asked why she would put such nasty stuff on me and she said it would keep the bugs away. Well, I don't like bugs much and they are chewing on my chest, but even still I was glad when the human stopped. Now I stink - wonderful! The entire time Bo just stood there with a smirk on his face.

We then went outside to the large pasture to work on the leading. I decided to give Bo the cold shoulder and totally ignored him. I knew what the human wanted and I did exactly what she told me, walking when she said walk, and stopping when she said whoa. I did so well that the human said that we were going to try and do it without the verbal commands. It was not as hard as I thought it would be. Even though the human did not say walk she pulled just the littlest bit on the halter and when I came forward she petted me. We walked a bit and then she stopped and I just stopped with her. We did this several times and I am very pleased to say that I understood exactly what the human wanted and I did it every time. This made the human really happy. I'm beginning to think that humans are very easy to please.

Tonight during grooming class I stood very still for the brushing and combing. The human got that terrible spray bottle out again and spritzed me again making me stink. Well, I sure fooled that human. I know that she thought I'd react to that bottle again but I decided that I'd just ignore it. I think that was a good plan on my part because then it didn't last very long, not nearly as long as it did yesterday. Then the human decided it was time to clean my feet. I gave her the front foot and she cleaned it and then when she went to my back foot, I didn't wait for the command, I just gave it to her. You'd have thought I laid a golden egg with the pleasure that seemed to provide the human. If that's all it takes to get a treat then I'm going to make my sweet tooth happy.

To make the leading class fun the human brought out a sircingle and put it on me. I didn't mind it being on my back at all but it did tickle a little when the buckles were tightened. Then the human just led me around the small paddock behind my dorm room. Not really practicing the starts and stops, just walked me around in small circles so I could get used to the feel of the equipment on me.

I must be doing well at school because the human left the barn door open tonight so that I could go in and out of the barn using the small paddock. The human said that it's so hot out that she wants to keep the barn more open at night to keep Bo and I comfortable. I think it's like Bo said, that when I did well at my classes I'd get the additional freedom. I guess that means that if I want to have the freedom that I'm going to have to keep studying hard to learn what the human wants me to learn.

From the pastures of central Minnesota,

Sunday

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:46 pm 

Hay Sis....look at me!

And yesterday I had some wonderful attention from two beautiful young ladies....I like the ladies...check out the braid.....and notice the bit??!

And something special happened to me today. I....yes I....Me....Ledge.....your brother......me....had the pleasure of having a human on my back. That was cooooollllllll! :!:

I miss you Sunday. :cry:

Simply A Legend -Big Annie-My Momma-1983-2008
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:21 pm 

it is hard to believe but you look even more handsome with that braid. Your Mom must be so proud of you. Lots of firsts for you that day

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:30 am 

June 26, 2009

Boy is it ever hot here and it's making me a bit crabby; well, that and the bug spray bottle.

I've done everything I can think of to get the human to put the spray bottle down. I even tried to avoid being caught in my dorm room the other day thinking if the human couldn't catch me then she couldn't spritz me. I totally forgot that the human had my breakfast when I tried this. Call me a gluten but I was hungry so my resistance only lasted about 30 seconds. I was so frustrated about getting spritzed that after the human finished I decided not to ask the human for a pet and I just stomped out to the pasture and when Bo asked me what was wrong I just told him to "talk to the hoof". I was in no mood for conversation.

Later that day the human brought out a new kind of bug spray thinking that maybe it was the smell that was bothering me. I could have told her, no, that I just don't like the way it feels to have stuff spritzed on me, so I had to endure yet another spritzing. I smell disgusting. I'm mad about it and so I pooped in my grain bucket. I don't know how else to get my point across. I don't like being spritzed.

Bo and I hung out in the pasture this morning and then we stood inside the barn this afternoon. Not as many bugs in the barn as outside and there is a fan blowing in the dorm room. My chest is a bit raw from where the bugs have been biting me but otherwise I'm fine; feeling a bit lazy because of the heat. Tonight I had to go to both of my classes, Grooming Etiquette and Horses in Motion. I was certain that the human was going to spritz me again and so I made my crabby face at the human when she tied me up. After brushing me I thought that I'd get spritzed again but this time the human just used a rag with the bug spray. That surprised me. I still don't like being spritzed and I don't like smelling like bug spray but I guess I can tolerate it from the rag. The human said that I was not going to get a very good grade but I don't care if I flunk just as long as I don't get spritzed.

Once the grooming was done the human brought out the sircingle again and a saddle blanket. I got to examine them and the human put them on my back, the saddle blanket first and then the sircingle. I didn't mind them until the human cinched the buckles. I don't like the feeling much even though it doesn't hurt. I kicked my back feet a couple of times to see if that would make the feeling go away; it doesn't. The human then tighten the girth one notch and then talked with me and give me a treat and she kept that up until the girth was snug but not tight. After it was on the human took me outside to the small paddock. I thought we were going to practice leading again but instead she walked me around in small circles and then as I walked around her she let me walk further and further away all the time telling me to walk and praising me. I have no idea what this human really wanted but as long as I walked when she told me to she seemed happy. When she told me whoa and blocked my walk with her body I stopped and she praised me for that. I got to do this several times and then the human took me back to my dorm room. I was told that I had just had my very first lesson in lunging.

I'm so confused. I thought that lunging would mean that I'd have to learn to jump out at things. I can tell you, that there is one dog here at the school that I don't think I'd mind jumping at. There is something weird about this dog; her name is Holly. When she comes into the barn she likes to run up on top of the hay stack so that we are eye to eye. She doesn't bark or anything but, gosh, doesn't that dog know that horses don't like dogs to be so high? Makes us feel like we are being sized up as a dog lunch. If I hang my head over the stall door Holly will jump up and try to lick my face. I don't think this dog's elevator goes to the top floor if you know what I mean. The larger dog, Amber, doesn't act like that. Amber acts like there are no horses in the barn at all. I think that's a much better attitude for a dog to have.

Well, my hay is here now and I'm hungry. While I eat tonight I'm going to think about how I got the human to put the bug spray bottle away. I have to figure this out just in case the human decides to do something else I don't like. Tonight when I sleep I'm going to think about how many butterscotch flavored treats I'll get in tomorrow's classes.

Sunday

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:02 pm 

Monday, June 29, 2009

It makes me sad to say that Bo Jangles has been sick. He has something the human calls heaves. On Saturday I asked him what was wrong but he couldn't answer me because it was really hard for him to breathe. The human brought a vet to see Bo and the vet gave Bo a shot and then gave our human some medicine for Bo to take. On Sunday Bo coughed a lot and was still having a hard time breathing but today he was much better. Bo was able to walk around a bit but when I tried to get him to play tag he said that he couldn't do that yet. I sure hope he gets better quickly cuz I really like playing with him. The human says he's got a good chance of a full recuperation since the medications are working. Bo tells me that they taste really nasty but the human has been putting molasses on them and then putting carrots slices and apple pieces in with the grain and the meds. He eats it all by morning and the human said that Mary Poppins would be proud. I have not heard of a horse called Mary Poppins before. I hope I get to meet her one day.

I asked Bo what molasses tastes like and he says it's almost as good as the butterscotch treats. I asked the human if I could have some and she said when I am ready to put a bit in my mouth that I can have some then. I don't know what a bit is but I think I'm ready for it now. That just made the human chuckle and she said when I can wear the sircingle and girth without flinching then I'll get to taste the bit with the molasses. I can hardly wait.

Today I got to play the box game with the human. I haven't played that for a while and it was fun. The human had backed the trailer right up to the barn so that when the barn door was open the trailer was right there. That way Bo got to watch me play the game. I am so good at this game. Today I put three feet in the box right away and then stood there for about five minutes before deciding it was time for me to win my prize. I got some grain and a couple of those really yummy butterscotch treats. The human told me how good I was at playing this game. Afterwards I went back to my dorm room and had by lesson in basic grooming.

During the class the human did something she called sacking out. She used a soft lead rope that was curled up and she tried to tickle me with it and she rubbed it all over my body, She even put it around my waist and moved it back and forth. It does tickle a bit but it doesn't hurt and I was kind of curious as to why the human would do this new game. When she was done, darned if she didn't get that spray bottle out and spritz me with it. I was so stunned that she would do that to me after I thought I'd convinced her to give it up that I just stood there and looked surprised. It only lasted a couple of seconds and then it was over and I got another couple of treats.

The human says that tomorrow we will play the box game again and then we will work on wearing the sirsingle and on lunging. I hope that the weather stays cool and windy. Since the wind keeps the bugs away maybe the human will stop spritzing me with bug spray. At least this new spray doesn't smell nearly as bad as the first kind. Still I think I smell better without it.

May the grass be greener on your side of the fence. :)

Sunday

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:30 am 

Dear Kisses and Legend,

I asked the human if I could use her cell phone to call you but she said that horses aren't allowed to have cell phones. I told the human that Layla has one and she looked me right in the eye and said that Layla's human took that cell phone away from her a long time ago. Then she mumbled something about no good can come from a horse with a cell phone; they call the ASPCA every time no matter who they say they are going to call. Actually I thought I'd call the feed mill and order some butterscotch treats and I was going to really raise a ruckus about not getting the phone when Bo Jangles suggested that I write you a letter.

I'm having a good time here at Karousel Acres but I sure do miss you both. I'm staying in Sky's room right next to Bo. At night when the human has fed us and then left us alone in the barn we talk some and listen to the radio while we eat our hay. Bo likes to listen to country music. I'm learning lots of stuff but it looks like Legend is way ahead of me. I couldn't believe the pictures the human showed me of him wearing a bridle with a bit and a saddle. Legend, did the human really get up on your back? Weren't you scared?

I asked Bo if he wanted to say anything to Sky. I can't write what he said; what a potty mouth. It's misty outside today, not much sun, temps in the 50's, perfect weather for horses. The human said I could give you a picture of Bo so that you'd know what he looks like. I can't wait to finish school and come home to show you everything I've learned.

Sunday XXOOX

Attachments:
bojangels.jpg
bojangels.jpg [ 8.59 KiB | Viewed 17039 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:57 am 

June 30, 2009

Today was cool and cloudy with some wind, but not as much as yesterday. It
was perfect weather to be out in the pasture grazing. I ask Bo how he was
feeling today and he said that he felt more like his old self and that he
could breathe really well today. We spent most of our day looking for the
perfect blade of grass, any blade that did not measure up, we ate it. While
we were grazing Bo said that he wanted to show the human how good he felt
in some special way. After all, he said, the human had been pretty good
about getting him the vet when he needed it, and she'd been giving him
carrots and apples and molasses all week to help with the medicine. He
wanted to let the human know just how good he was feeling. We put our
muzzles together and discussed it most of the day and we finally settled on
a plan.

So today when the human came down to the barn to give us our supper and
teach me my lessons tonight, I came into the barn first and stood to one
side in the stall and when I was out of the way, Bo came running into the
barn, slid to halt by the stall door, tossed his head over the door and we
both said, "ta-da". The human was really surprised and she checked Bo's
breathing, which was fine, and then the strangest thing happened, the
human's eyes leaked. I asked Bo what was wrong with the human and he said
that sometimes if the humans are really sad or really happy their eyes
leak. I think I remember that from when WindChill stayed at my farm.

When the human transferred Bo into his own dorm room, he went out into his
small paddock and did a little jig and when the human wanted to give him
his meds he tossed his head up and down in time with his feet. This made
the human laugh, so I guess Bo was right, the human was really happy. When
the human was getting things ready for my class I told Bo that he was being
a bit of a show of and did he think was the next Fred Astaire? Bo thought
that was really funny. Says he's got no need to be the next Fred Astaire
when he's already Bo Jangles. Told me to look Bo Jangles up on the
internet, then I'd understand the joke.

I was so focused on what Bo was telling me that when it came time to play
the box game I totally forgot to stand at the entrance to the box and I
walked right in. I thought the human would be disappointed that the game
was over so quickly but she didn't seem to mind and I got to have my grain.
I'm going to have to think about this more. I thought for sure the human
wanted the game to last longer.

When we were done I got to hang out in the barn with the human for a while.
She said that she doesn't want me to think that leaving the box meant that
I had to go back to my dorm room right away. That was kind of cool. When I
went into my room the human brought in a large bucket and I was thinking,
like wow, am I getting a huge treat? I could stick my entire head in the
bucket; smelled like pasture apples though. The human said that it was a
muck bucket. She moved this bucket around in my stall, banged it into my
legs a couple of times. She had a long handled rake with her and she moved
that around some too. I was interested a lot more in my hay than in what
the human was doing so I mostly just ignored her.

After a while the human took the bucket and the rake out and came back with
a bag of shavings. She opened the bag up and spread the shavings around my
room. I just love the smell of fresh shavings. When the bag was empty the
human crumpled it up and rubbed it all over me. I think the human is trying
to find my ticklish spots. I'm beginning to think that this human doesn't
have a very long attention span because she gave up looking for my tickle
spot before long and I got to eat my dinner in peace and quiet.

Human put Bo's hay too far away for me to reach it through the gate. Darn.

Sunday

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:42 am 

I like your stories, Sunday. You sure are learning alot. I am so glad your friend Bo is feeling better.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:50 am 

July 1, 2009

Well, I have passed my mid-term exam.The human said that I did very well, that I'm a very good student, almost as good as Sky was when he went to school here. I never knew that Sky was a student here; but Bo confirmed it.

My first test was doing the box game without hesitation at the entrance to the box. Now that I know that the humans don't have a very long attention span it makes things much easier for me to participate. They don't need the box game to last a long time, they just want to play it. So I came from the pasture, walked right into the box and had my grain. When I was done eating the human BACKED me out of the box. My first attempt was a bit scary and the human let me try it a second time and I got it right that time.

We then hung out in the main part of the barn and I got some of my hay to eat in there. While I was munching away the human brushed my coat and combed my mane and tail without my having to be tied up. I had a lead rope on me but I just stood quietly while the human worked on me. At the end the human spritzed bug spray on my chest and not only did I not flinch, I held my head up so that she could have easy access to do it. I finally figured out that if I cooperate it doesn't last long. I am going to write a letter to the manufacturer, though, and tell them that I want bug spray that smells a little more like me and a lot less than what it currently does.

After I finished my snack the human took me outside and we practiced my leading. I do really well at stopping, even without the verbal command but I need to work a bit more on letting the human lead me. I'm still rushing it a bit. I was concerned that I would not pass this part of the course but the human said that although she will give me a passing score that I can still work on improving while I'm here at school. When the leading part was over I demonstrated my lunging. I can only lunge one way right now, and even that isn't real good, but the human said that going one way and understanding the concept was enough for mid-terms. To graduate I'll need to be able to go both ways.

We then moved into my dorm room where the human sacked me out with the lead rope. Then, much to my surprise, instead of putting the sircingle on me, the human put a saddle blanket and a saddle on my back. I have to tell you when I found out that Legend got to wear one I was inspired to try it myself. Being sacked out first really helps because then the girth doesn't feel quiet so strange and doesn't tickle nearly as much. The human tightened the girth a little at a time until, get this, it was snug against my chest and tummy. Once it was on the human left me tied up in the dorm room with some hay in the hay rack for me to eat and told me to move around a bit to get used to the feel. I thought about kicking out with my back feet but since that didn't help yesterday I decided that maybe just moving my back end around would be enough. You know, you do get used to the feel of it after a while.

When I was able to stand quietly the human let the stirrups hang down by my side and then she sacked me out with them. She made all kinds of racket when she did this making the leather snap on itself. I didn't care. When I didn't react to that the human then pushed down on one of the stirrups. I think she was trying to make me fall down. I had to work a bit to keep my balance. The entire time the human kept telling me how good I was doing and giving me treats. When the human got tired of doing this she put the stirrups back up to the top of the saddle, and took all the equipment off of me.

I thought once the equipment was put away that I would be done with my exam but the human brought out what she called a training bit and showed it to me. I asked her if that was the same bit that Legend had in his mouth and she said it was. The human then asked me if I wanted to taste it, and I did. Funny it doesn't have a taste to it at all. I opened my mouth to tell the human that and darned if she didn't stick it into my mouth. She just held it there and let me chew on it. It doesn't hurt but it feels strange and kind of makes me feel like I'm choking a little. Bo said that is normal and that I'll get used to it over time.

All this work took more than an hour to complete. When the human turned me loose in my dorm room I got to have a few more treats and then I got to play slime the human. :) That's a fun game where you get to smear your green slobber on the humans clothing. Now how cool is that? Bo says that I'll graduate from school for certain and probably with some really good grades. He says that he's really proud of all I've learned and in such a sort time. I can't believe that there is more I need to know before I can carry a human on my back but Bo assures me that there is still plenty that I need to learn.

The human told me that I will get the next couple of days off; my summer break. I asked if I could go to Fort Lauderdale, Florida on my break. The human said that airfare is kind of expensive but if I really wanted to go somewhere she'd take me to the campground at the park. Bo yelled, "don't go" so I told the human I'd think about it and get back to her.

Keep it saddle side up friends.

Sunday

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:17 pm 

Oh, Sunday, I miss you SO much!! The boys are nice and all for boys, but they get very tiresome after awhile. They are always fussing with each other: I told my Best Person about it, and she said boys just do that, even most human boys. Then I have to pin my ears and make them behave. Sigh--when are you coming home, Girlfriend??? I need you to help keep them in line, and I don't have anyone to talk to! I'm going to answer some of your last posts, because I want to know some stuff, and there are THINGS you need to know. My answers will be in purple, the color my Best Person likes me to wear. :D

then the strangest thing happened, the human's eyes leaked. I asked Bo what was wrong with the human and he said that sometimes if the humans are really sad or really happy their eyes leak. I think I remember that from when WindChill stayed at my farm.

When humans get leaky eyes, they need hugs and nuzzles. That's when they need us horses so much. Yes, when WindChill left Raindance, almost all of the humans had leaky eyes. We send them our love by looking at them deeply, and we can help them understand their feelings. The happy leaks are very special: when my Best Person Ever told me I was now her horse she had leaky eyes. It was a very nice thing!

So I came from the pasture, walked right into the box and had my grain. When I was done eating the human BACKED me out of the box. My first attempt was a bit scary and the human let me try it a second time and I got it right that time.

I don't know how to do the box game. Nobody has ever showed it to me. I have a feeling I will learn it sometime. I'll try to remember that they don't care if it takes a long time or not, and that you get grain even if it is short.

I thought once the equipment was put away that I would be done with my exam but the human brought out what she called a training bit and showed it to me. I asked her if that was the same bit that Legend had in his mouth and she said it was. The human then asked me if I wanted to taste it, and I did. Funny it doesn't have a taste to it at all. I opened my mouth to tell the human that and darned if she didn't stick it into my mouth. She just held it there and let me chew on it. It doesn't hurt but it feels strange and kind of makes me feel like I'm choking a little. Bo said that is normal and that I'll get used to it over time.

Okay, my sister and BFF, I have to tell you about this. The human is preparing you for something else. Remember how we watched and talked about the mares that people were on in the round pen and the arena? Well, they use both the saddle AND the bit, and then they take you out into the round pen. TMOWIM has done that to me, and it isn't just a one-time deal. Oh, no. Each time she wants me to do MORE stuff, and just because she says so!!! Remember how you always walked with me and my Best Person Ever in the back field when we practiced "Walk", Whoa", "Back", "Over", flexing, etc.? Well, one time when TMOWIM was on my back she was telling me to walk and whoa. I did that very well, and then I figured it must be time to flex. So I started to flex, and I thought she would be glad, because it's not my first choice of things to do. But was she? No, she said she hadn't ASKED me to do that. The last time she was on my back took the cake, as humans say. Well, she told me to walk, and I did. We walked around. Then, for NO REASON AT ALL, she told me "whoa." I told her no thank you, I didn't care to do that. She kept telling me "whoa", and she kept jiggling back on the bit and saying "whoa" so eventually I did, and she told me I was a good girl, of course. So we walked around more. And guess what? She told me to whoa again and again and again! I was just NOT in the mood to do that, and I figured she would just think since I'm still very young that I just didn't know the word. Well, there's no fooling TMOWIM!!!! I politely kept telling her, "No thank you, I'm just not in the mood for this today", but as I bet you know, she doesn't listen to that at all. In fact, she then made me go AROUND IN A CIRCLE, which I also was NOT in the mood to do. She just kept on and on with this "whoa" stuff. Finally she told me my "lesson" would have been over a long time ago if I just would "whoa" when I was told. That did it: I did "whoa" a few times and it was done. So Sunday, be aware of what this all leads up to! And my Best Person Ever was there, and didn't even help me at all. So as you remember, TMOWIM means business as always.

The human told me that I will get the next couple of days off; my summer break. I asked if I could go to Fort Lauderdale, Florida on my break. The human said that airfare is kind of expensive but if I really wanted to go somewhere she'd take me to the campground at the park. Bo yelled, "don't go" so I told the human I'd think about it and get back to her.

Ya, we talked about the human fillies that go to Fort Lauderdale for break, and it does sound exciting!!! If you talk your human into it, tell her to talk to TMOWIM about giving me break, too, and maybe I could meet you so we can have a REALLY GOOD TIME TOGETHER!!! What's up with this park stuff, though? I miss you, Sunday!!! Good luck, and congratulations on doing a good job!!! Hope I see you soon!

Love from your sister,
Kisses xo

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:50 am 

Dear Kisses,

Hi sweetie, I sure do miss you. Thank you for sending me a letter. I miss
our pasture conversations and being able to swat flies with you. You tell
those boys that if they aren't nice to you that I'll send my human up to
deal with them. :) Since she is Sky's forever human I think she'd have
some influence over his behavior. Then again, he's up there because he
needs training, so maybe not. Why don't you tell them, "no treats for you"
when they misbehave? Bo doesn't do much posturing but that's because he's
the only boy on the place. The human tells me that when Sky is here that Bo
does lots and lots of posturing and that it does get tiresome at times.

I asked the human about when I'll be coming home and she says that she
needs to talk it over with you know who. I could come home on August 7th,
and just trade places with Sky or Sky may come home on August 7th and I
would then come home on either August 10th or August 21st. That would give
Bo the opportunity to adjust to Sky being home again and having another
horse on the farm before I would leave. It also depends on if I can
graduate from my classes.

The human hasn't told Bo yet that I will not be staying. Bo has asked the
human many times if I could just stay forever because he likes me so much
and wants me to be his new BFF. Kisses, this makes the human feel really
sad because she'd like to be able to keep me but says she can't right now;
that she needs to win the lottery first. Because she's sad I have done what
you suggested and I hug her a lot and touch her with my muzzle and I try
really hard to learn my lessons, you know, to make it easier on her. She
really likes that and it does make me wish I could stay here even though
I'd miss you lots if I did.

I wish that you could come and visit me here. This farm is so very
different from our farm. For one thing, there is only Bo and I. That's it,
just the two of us. There is a horse next door but he is too far away to
visit with, but I can smell him and sometimes he yells hello from his
place. Since there is only one other horse here, you form a very strong
bond with each other. It is very quiet and peaceful here. Sometimes at our
farm it's so noisy and busy that I can hardly hear myself think. At
Raindance there are lots of humans that come and go but at Karousel Acres
there is just this one human. That one human does everything for us, she
feeds us, cleans our rooms, grooms us, and helps us with every thing we do.
At first it felt strange to have only one human but because there is only
one human you can get attached to it very easily.

I hope that you get to play the box game one day soon. You will have to
remember to be brave and not get scared about being in such a small space.
I got to play the game last night again. When I backed out this time I did
it perfectly, I didn't even hesitate when it came to stepping down out the
back end of the box. The human told me that I now do this better than Sky
does it, and I learned it much faster; high praise indeed.

Thank you for helping me to understand about the saddle and the bit. The
human said that in order for me to find my forever human that I need to
learn to wear the saddle and bridle and eventually to carry a human on my
back like you do. The human said that sometimes a horse can find a forever
human before they learn these things but it helps if I can do them already.
Since I really want a forever human I am working very hard to learn these
things. Tonight I finally get to have the molasses that I was promised. Of
course I'll have to have the bit in my mouth but I'm going to try very hard
not to get upset about that.

One thing that I have learned about humans, other than that they have a
very short attention span, is that they are very, very stubborn creatures.
They insist that things go their way and they won't give in until you
follow what they say. I have thought about this a lot, Kisses. Since they
are the ones that give us food and water, and since they work really hard
to take care of us, and because they really love us, that maybe we should
try and do things their way. You already know that if we cooperate that
their attention wanders off and then they stop telling us what to do and
leave us alone. I had to learn this with the bug spray and you had to learn
it with whoa. I promise that I will try every time to remember this so that
when I find my forever person that they will love me even more because of
my good attitude.

Last night Bo and I played follow the leader. Bo wants to play a different
game just about every day and he is very creative in how we spend our time.
We took turns being the leader. For some reason this game drives the dogs
crazy and they stand at the fence line and bark at us. Bo and I think that
is really funny. Amber and Holly said to say hi to Halo and Walker.

Take care of yourself, sis. The summer will be over before we know it and
I'll be back home in the pasture with you.

Sunday

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:50 am 

Dear Kisses,

Hi sweetie, I sure do miss you. Thank you for sending me a letter. I miss
our pasture conversations and being able to swat flies with you. You tell
those boys that if they aren't nice to you that I'll send my human up to
deal with them. :) Since she is Sky's forever human I think she'd have
some influence over his behavior. Then again, he's up there because he
needs training, so maybe not. Why don't you tell them, "no treats for you"
when they misbehave? Bo doesn't do much posturing but that's because he's
the only boy on the place. The human tells me that when Sky is here that Bo
does lots and lots of posturing and that it does get tiresome at times.

I asked the human about when I'll be coming home and she says that she
needs to talk it over with you know who. I could come home on August 7th,
and just trade places with Sky or Sky may come home on August 7th and I
would then come home on either August 10th or August 21st. That would give
Bo the opportunity to adjust to Sky being home again and having another
horse on the farm before I would leave. It also depends on if I can
graduate from my classes.

The human hasn't told Bo yet that I will not be staying. Bo has asked the
human many times if I could just stay forever because he likes me so much
and wants me to be his new BFF. Kisses, this makes the human feel really
sad because she'd like to be able to keep me but says she can't right now;
that she needs to win the lottery first. Because she's sad I have done what
you suggested and I hug her a lot and touch her with my muzzle and I try
really hard to learn my lessons, you know, to make it easier on her. She
really likes that and it does make me wish I could stay here even though
I'd miss you lots if I did.

I wish that you could come and visit me here. This farm is so very
different from our farm. For one thing, there is only Bo and I. That's it,
just the two of us. There is a horse next door but he is too far away to
visit with, but I can smell him and sometimes he yells hello from his
place. Since there is only one other horse here, you form a very strong
bond with each other. It is very quiet and peaceful here. Sometimes at our
farm it's so noisy and busy that I can hardly hear myself think. At
Raindance there are lots of humans that come and go but at Karousel Acres
there is just this one human. That one human does everything for us, she
feeds us, cleans our rooms, grooms us, and helps us with every thing we do.
At first it felt strange to have only one human but because there is only
one human you can get attached to it very easily.

I hope that you get to play the box game one day soon. You will have to
remember to be brave and not get scared about being in such a small space.
I got to play the game last night again. When I backed out this time I did
it perfectly, I didn't even hesitate when it came to stepping down out the
back end of the box. The human told me that I now do this better than Sky
does it, and I learned it much faster; high praise indeed.

Thank you for helping me to understand about the saddle and the bit. The
human said that in order for me to find my forever human that I need to
learn to wear the saddle and bridle and eventually to carry a human on my
back like you do. The human said that sometimes a horse can find a forever
human before they learn these things but it helps if I can do them already.
Since I really want a forever human I am working very hard to learn these
things. Tonight I finally get to have the molasses that I was promised. Of
course I'll have to have the bit in my mouth but I'm going to try very hard
not to get upset about that.

One thing that I have learned about humans, other than that they have a
very short attention span, is that they are very, very stubborn creatures.
They insist that things go their way and they won't give in until you
follow what they say. I have thought about this a lot, Kisses. Since they
are the ones that give us food and water, and since they work really hard
to take care of us, and because they really love us, that maybe we should
try and do things their way. You already know that if we cooperate that
their attention wanders off and then they stop telling us what to do and
leave us alone. I had to learn this with the bug spray and you had to learn
it with whoa. I promise that I will try every time to remember this so that
when I find my forever person that they will love me even more because of
my good attitude.

Last night Bo and I played follow the leader. Bo wants to play a different
game just about every day and he is very creative in how we spend our time.
We took turns being the leader. For some reason this game drives the dogs
crazy and they stand at the fence line and bark at us. Bo and I think that
is really funny. Amber and Holly said to say hi to Halo and Walker.

Take care of yourself, sis. The summer will be over before we know it and
I'll be back home in the pasture with you.

Sunday

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:31 am 

Monday, July 13, 2009

Well, summer break is over and although I did not go to Florida I did enjoy having a couple of days off to relax and just be a horse. Classes have started up again and I've continued to work on my basic stuff while having a few new items introduced. During my basic grooming class one day I got to have my face shaved. It didn't scare me at all and it actually tickled a little.

The human decided to play the box game with me again but when she took me to where the box should have been I discovered that it had moved. Instead of being really close to the barn it is now about 15 feet away so I have to walk out of the barn and across some grass before I can get in. The first time I put both my front feet in and looked around for about 15 seconds before I got in. I wanted to make sure that the box wasn't going to move while I was trying to get in. Tonight when I played the game I just walked in like I've learned to do. Fine by me if the human wants to move it around to make the game more interesting for her.

The human has been playing a game with me that she calls, "Are you afraid of this?" Each night she tries to get me to react to something. Sometimes she smacks wood together to make a loud noise. The other night she had this really long piece of tarp that she dragged around and hung over my fence thinking that I'd be afraid of it. I did humor the human and walked over to sniff it, but I was not the least bit concerned about it being there and I certainly was not afraid of it. Bo and I have a different name for this new game. We call it "stupid human tricks".

Bo and I have been playing some games of our own lately. When the human comes to the barn to feed us and to run through my lessons we are pretending to be different horses to see if she can guess who we are. The human is really good at this game and we haven't stumped her yet. One night I pretended to be a bucking bronco and I kicked my heels and crow hopped from the pasture to the stalls. The next night Bo and I pretended to be wild mustangs and we ran around a little to show the human our wild side. The next night I thought we'd stump the human for sure but she immediately knew that we were pretending to be stick horses when neither of us moved a muscle when she first came down to the barn.

Classes are conducted most every night and I'm hoping that the weather will give us a break soon. It's been very hot and very dry. We haven't had rain in a long time and the grass in the pasture is dry and brown. It's more like eating hay then eating grass. Bugs have been terrible too. Bo says that I'm just feeling a little sorry for myself and that's natural he says that I'm farm sick and that I'll feel much better in another day or two, that farm sickness doesn't last too long. The human tells me that I only have another 4 weeks of class and then I'll get to go home. I can't wait to see Kisses and Legend and tell them in person what school has been like and to find out what they've been up to all summer.

May all your clover have four leafs.

Sunday

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:03 pm 

Oh Sunday I miss you so much :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
The human here has been making me park. I'm a horse....I want to eat & play & eat & run & eat & sleep & eat some more and she puts this thing on my head that everybody oooooo's & ahhhhhh's about and then says PARK. I do it. It makes her happy. Not sure where this is going. I guess no where.....since I'm in PARK! :lol:
Can't wait Sunday til you come home. I sure hope Bo has been a gentleman with my lil sister.

May all your clover have four leafs.Oh that is so sweet.

Attachments:
Ledge show gear park.jpg
Ledge show gear park.jpg [ 64.81 KiB | Viewed 16747 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:07 pm 

Friday, July 17, 2009

I have reached the point where I can now appreciate the basic grooming
class and how good it makes me feel to be brushed and combed and pampered
over. I nearly fell asleep tonight during class I was so relaxed. I even
picked up my feet just as soon as I was asked to do so. I've come a long
way in the time I've been here at school.

I have progressed enough in my classes that I'm now wearing full riding
equipment. I'm attaching a picture so that you can see me with a saddle and
bridle on. It still feels really weird to have the girth tightened and
since I'm feeling a little frisky right now it makes me want to act up a
bit. Knowing this the human turned me loose in the pasture tonight after I
had practiced my lunging. I can now do that both ways. I understand exactly
what the human wants but I still don't know why she wants me to walk around
in such small circles. I thought I might get it over with quickly if I went
faster but that doesn't appear to be the case. Every time I sped up she
made me whoa. I got frustrated and tried not walking at all but that didn't
seem to make the situation any better. The human says I'm doing well and
that I will improve over time.

Once I was out in the pasture with all the equipment on I ran and bucked
and kicked up my heels. I learned that you can't get the equipment off of
you by doing that and the stirrups will slap you on the side as well. After
a while I decided that it wasn't much fun to buck and when I settled down
the human and I played a game of follow the leader. This is different than
practicing leading because I didn't have a lead rope on me. The human just
walked around the pasture in circles and figure 8's and I just followed
along with her walking just behind and to the side of her so that I could
see what she was doing. When we got bored with follow the leader we played
red light / green light. I'm really good a both of these games.

When we were all done I got to have some more brushing done on me and then
the human left for the night. I've been trying to convince the human to
stay down in the barn with us. To do that I hang my head over the stall
door and give her my very best puppy-dog pleading look. When that doesn't
work I try to tap out a message with my hoof against the stall door but
that doesn't seem to work either. Bo says that the human likes to sleep in
her house with her dogs and cats, that those animals need her love and
attention also. I guess.... I really don't care to share the human but
unless I can figure out how to change that I'll have to go along with it.

See my pictures with the saddle and bridle. There is also one of Bo and I
having one of our discussions.

Keep it saddle side up.

Sunday

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:08 pm 

Monday, July 27, 2009

The farrier came today and I got to have my feet trimmed before Bo did. I
like when I'm treated like the princess that I am. The farrier thinks that
I'm a very cute filly and said that he certainly understands why Bo likes
me so much. The human and the farrier were both very happy with how I did.
The human has handled my feet so many times that I did not care that the
farrier did it. The human had me on a loose lead rope and I just stood
where I was asked to. The worst part of the whole thing was getting spritz
with bug spray by the human before the farrier started. Does everything
have to involve that bug spray? Man how I dislike that stuff. When he was
done, the farrier mentioned how relaxed I was, even to handing him my last
foot when it came time to do that one. I could have told the farrier that I
would do this perfectly; it's in my name, I am Simple Perfection.The
farrier said that he thinks the human should train all of his horse
clients. I think not, it's bad enough sharing the human with Bo, I'm not
interested in sharing her with yet more of my kind.

Last week the human and I did the horses in motion class with the lead
attached to the halter under my chin. Sometimes now we use the chain and
sometimes we don't. Either way I get treats for doing a good job. We tried
leading, whoa, park, back-up, and lunging both ways. I did pretty well,
much better than when I first came to school here other than parking. I had
one of those nights where I wasn't really interested in parking and decided
that I had forgotten how to do that, even though I had pretended to be a
Bryer Horse Model one night during the guess who we are game, and I did it
two nights before when the human asked me to do it. I eventually did it,
just not very well. Human asked me who I thought I was, Kisses?

I'm still having the saddle put on me a couple of times a week and I still
am having trouble getting used to the girth being tightened. Once it's on,
though, I don't feel the need to do quiet so much kicking or bucking and
the human tells me that over time I won't feel the need to do that at all.
So now when it goes on instead of being turned lose to run around, the
human and I walk around and practice our horses in motion stuff.

There was another box lunch delivery on Saturday. The human unloaded and
stacked 120 bales of hay in the barn and the barn is now so full of hay
that there isn't much room for me to go into the center of the barn to play
with or hang out with the human. That's a bummer. I liked going into the
center of the barn.

Bo and I have been in the front pasture this week and those crazy farm dogs
like to run out of the house to the pasture barking their fool heads off.
Bo and I kick up our heels at them but it doesn't make them stop. Even the
human telling them to quit doesn't seem to have much impact on them. I'm
glad that the dogs at home don't do that. The human tells me that it's good
for me to experience that as lots of dogs will bark at horses and I need to
get used to the noise and just ignore them. Easier said than done with the
level of noise they produce. I don't know how other horses put up with
bark-a-loungers like these two.

Bo's been having some trouble with breathing again so we haven't been
playing very many games. Not as bad as before, but enough to slow him down.
Bo likes to play king of the shelter even if he has trouble breathing and
he made me stand outside in the rain the other day. He's not mean about it,
he's just bigger than I am and he stands in the doorway to the shelter and
won't let me go past him. If I get to the shelter first then we both get to
stand in it, but if Bo get's there first then I'm stuck standing outside.
That doesn't seem very fair to me. I've discussed this with the human and
I'm not getting much sympathy. She says that's the price I pay for the
companionship and protection that Bo provides.

Tonight is my night off. The human has me on a full class schedule and I
only get Tuesday and Thursday nights off now. I haven't decided yet what
I'm going to do with my free time tonight. The human said that I should
read some horse training books but it's hard to concentrate on reading when
Bo is playing the radio all the time. I asked if I could have a cell phone
to make some calls but that just makes the human laugh. Boy, I'm really not
getting my way on anything around here. Maybe I'll write some letters home
to Kisses and Legend. I want to know how he did at the horse show and what
movie he saw.

2009 is the Chinese Year of the Horse. I think every year is the year of
the horse.

Sunday

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:58 pm 

Oh Sunday I miss you so much! When, when are you coming home? I sure wish we could have even a short visit. Hay Sis, you'll get used to the going around in circles thing. It makes the humans happy. If you just co-operate and do what they want then it'll be over quicker.

And the dogs, well the dogs are just always getting into trouble. Let me tell 'ya, the littlest one here was in really big trouble yesterday. I'll have to tell you the whole story when you get home. When are you coming home?

Well about the movies. That park thing sure isn't what I thought. And neither is the show. The humans kept saying we're going to a show so I thought I was going to the movies with two lovely mares and then go parking later. I've heard stories about the humans going to the movies and then parking after. I was really all worked up thinking I was going to be alone with two lovely mares. I had it all planned Sis. I had even tucked some buttercups into the metal box thing and I was going to give them to the two lovely mares. But no. We get to this place where we go from one metal box to a wood box. Then the metal box moved and left with my buttercups! Try to convince the mares that I really did bring flowers. So no movie. No parking. Well wait I did go parking. But not the kind of parking that my Dad told me about. Parking...that's another thing Sis. Just get it over with. The humans will let you go sooner to run & play & eat. I need to go talk to Dad about the kind of parking I've heard about. Maybe Cuz Axel knows something about it.

Hay when you get home you'll have to teach me the red light, green light game. I haven't heard about that one. When are you coming home? I sure hope Bo feels better Sis. Say hay to Bo for me. You're going to miss him when you come home. When are you coming home?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:32 pm 

Hay.....Ms. Sunday.....sounds like you are an "A" student. The pictures you said to look at of you and Bo aren't there. I'd really like to see 'em! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:15 am 

July 29, 2009

Dear Legend,

What a ladies man you are turning out to be. You'd better be careful who you go parking with; you'll get a reputation like Don Juan, think what a Legend you'd be then :)

I seriously miss you and Kisses soooooooooooo much and I'm ready to come home. I never had to do much at home. I got to run and eat and play with all the other horses and I think that I'd like to come home and do that again. The human said that she'd be talking with you know who on Friday to see if she thinks I've learned enough stuff to graduate. I sure hope so, although the human tells me that she's a walk in the park compared to you know who. I don't know, I think maybe I can convince you know who to treat me like the horse princess that I am. The human just says yah, right, and rolls her eyes at me. Any way, the plan is for Sky to come home first and then I can come home. We don't want Bo to be here at the farm by himself. The human is concerned about how much Bo is going to miss me when I leave so she wants Sky here before I leave. It's not long now only a week before Sky comes home. That Sky's a pretty lucky horse. This human really loves him a lot. I sure hope that when I get my forever human that they feel the same way about me.

Tonight during the grooming etiquette class while the human was trying to clean my hoofs someone started shooting a gun off. I wasn't really scared by the noise but Bo went outside to see what was going on and when I couldn't see him, I started jerking on the rope tie and moving around. Let's just say that things just went down hill from there. The human was not pleased with my behavior. Even though she understands why I would not stand still she was, nonetheless, not happy with me and she told me so. Grooming took forever because the human would not stop until I did everything she asked without my making a fuss about it. I haven't had my feet picked up so much in like forever.

Once the grooming was over the human sacked me out which went okay, but when she put the saddle blankets and the saddle on me I decided that I didn't want to be educated tonight and I started swinging my back end all over the place. BIG MISTAKE. Let me tell you, Legend, I should have listened to you and Kisses about going along with whatever the humans want. It took a long time to get the girth tightened up and then we went out into the back pasture and the human made me do free-lunging for almost an hour. Have you ever done free-lunging? With the saddle on and the stirrups dangling the human made me go around her in circles without a lunge rope on me. She had this really long whip that she tapped on the ground when I tried to stop. At first I ran and bucked in the circle but when I got tired I walked which was what the human wanted. Then I got bored and I decided we should be done but the human did not agree and she made me keep going. She said I had to get this attitude out of my system and settle down before she'd work me tonight. I'm not sure why free-lunging isn't considered work by the human, I sure thought it was. Any way, the free-lunging went on and on and on until I would go both ways at a nice walk. By the time the human was ready to stop I was breathing a little hard and I was pretty sweaty.

I thought we were done with class then but the human went and got the lead rope with the chain and we had to practice leading, backing, whoa, and parking. I would not cooperate with the parking. I kept telling the human that I didn't want to get my reputation ruined and that parking out where Bo could see me just wasn't appropriate. Again, BIG MISTAKE on my part. We just kept doing it over and over and over again. No gelding is going to want to be my friend if they think I'll just go parking any old time and any old place. Legend, what am I going to do? Everyone will think I'm easy.

We went into my dorm room and I thought, great, we are done. WRONG. That human put the bridle with the bit on me and back out to the pasture we went again. I at least got told that I was a good girl for how I took the bit in my mouth. I'm glad that I was able to something to please the human. More walking around and I had to do some flexing also. I don't mind the flexing but I'm not real sure that I know how to do it correctly. When I was done with the flexing, darned if that human didn't stop and give Bo some attention and pets. Neigh I say, I'm the one doing all the work here, what's Bo done lately?

After a while we went back to the dorm room and finally, YES, the human decided to take the equipment off me. Keeping with the mood of the night, I wouldn't stand still for that either. The human said that she didn't understand what got into me tonight, that I was acting like a prima donna. She said that I was worse tonight than I was on the day that I arrived. When the equipment was off me she came back with, you guessed it, the bottle of bug spray. At this point, Legend, I decided not to push my luck and I stood very still while I got a good dousing of bug spray on me. I think maybe I pushed to do things my way just a little too much tonight. What do you bet I don't get a night off tomorrow?

The human said that I need to learn yield to the commands of humans. She says I've got a good start on it, in spite of having an off night and that I'm not to worry about it. Apparently yielding to all things human takes more education than what I'll get here at Karousel Acres. She said that this is a preparatory school, not college. College is what you know who is going to put me through. I'm not sure I like the sound of that. Well, hopefully the human and I will get along better tomorrow.

You can lead a horse to water, but don't splash them :)

Sunday

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:18 am 

Here are the pictures.

Attachments:
sunday1.jpg
sunday1.jpg [ 8.36 KiB | Viewed 16665 times ]
sunday.jpg
sunday.jpg [ 9.51 KiB | Viewed 16665 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:52 pm 

Oh Sis look at you. You look soooooo pretty! Hay when you come home we can compare our costumes. And you know Sis don't worry. When you get home we can learn together. And I just bet you're going to have a much better night tonight. I told you Sis, the sooner you give the humans what they want, the sooner it'll all be over. Hearing that gun must have really stirred you up. Hopefully you don't hear that again.
Free-lunging...haven't heard that around this place. All I get around here is free hay.

Well I guess I better enjoy my time with Sky. Since he'll be gone. He's a nice buddy but I can't wait til you get home. When you get home we'll race K Sis? When Sky leaves I'll know then that you'll be home soon. Yeah, Neigh you'll be home before all the people come here to eat and take up room in our house and listen to melodies.

Oh and talking about parking and being easy...we've got one mare here who is practising the 'easy'. She's camped out with Simmer (lucky guy) and I'm doing my best to keep Layla from hearing about her easy mother. But if you do want to get the parking thing down right you might want to take a few lessons from the easy one. You'll make some gelding happy one day. And you'll be happy too.

Can't wait Sis til you're home. I'll tell Kisses. We miss you Sis.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:10 am 

July 30, 2009

If I roll around in the mud and then let it dry on my coat, what am I pretending to be?

Answer:

Chocolate covered Kisses.

Get it, Kisses?

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Sunday

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:56 am 

Sunday ! You are a funny Girl ! You made me laugh today !! You could add "comedienne" to your job resume ! Srcatches from Helen L

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:02 am 

Ha, ha, ha, Sunday--you have such a good sense of humor for a Princess! But, as we all know, there aren't many things as nice as a good roll, especially when there are all those terrible flies biting us. I'm counting the days until you get home, and there aren't too many!

Ledge has been telling us about his days away: did you know he made a new friend, a VERY fancy horse called a Saddlebred? She was in the room right behind him, and they both stretched their necks up all the time to talk and see each other's humans. He said she was WAY taller than I am, and something called a schooling horse. She lives in a fancy barn, and teaches little kids how to ride. She unfortunately lives with a VERY obnoxious horse that spent most of the show kicking the metal walls of his room. He gave EVERYONE a headache!

I've been on vacation while the humans were working with MaryAnn, Dance, and Ledge for the show. My Best Person Ever has been walking with me, and we've been doing walk, whoa, back, and down. She hasn't asked me to flex, and I think it might be because the last time TMOWIM was on my back I flexed every time she asked me to do something. See, I didn't used to like flexing, and so every time I did, my Best Person Ever told me what a good girl I was in the very nicest voice. I wanted TMOWIM to do that, too, and she just wasn't asking me to flex, so I thought I'd better remind her that she was telling me to do the wrong things. These humans must not remember things well: MaryAnn said she did everything perfectly at the show the last time she was in the ring, and they forgot to ask her to show them how well she sidepasses. So she showed them, all the way back to the gate, and they STILL didn't give her the blue ribbon! It sound like your teacher also has a bad memory, and forgets to ask you to do the right things, too.

I'll be really sad to see Sky leave, and I wish he could stay AND you come back. He's my best friend now, such a very nice horse. The four of us would have such fun together! My Best Person Ever said she really likes riding him for lessons, and I can see why. I'm excited for you to come back, though. There's nothing like best girlfriends!

See you soon, Sunday! We'll have lots to catch up on!

Love,
Kisses xo

Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 32 posts ]